Saturday, January 24, 2015

¡Hasta luego, Mérida!

As I take a break from packing the last of my belongings, I realize just how quickly time has gone. It feels like yesterday when I was crying, sad that I will leave my loved ones and my beloved dogs for three WHOLE weeks (yeah, I was being really dramatic haha) and be on my own once again like in Ecuador. The time away from home proved to be rewarding because of the people I met in Mérida. If it weren't for UBELONG, I don't think I would've ever crossed paths with the staff at the food bank, my wonderful UBELONG team leaders, and the other volunteers and people I met at the hostel.
My farewell dinner :'(
Mi jefe! :)
I love these people <3 Danny taught me Mayan, Nidia fed me and gave me a regalito, and they all took the time to speak to me in Spanish and help me learn in the produce section!
My experience in Mérida can't be replicated in the States, and I am super grateful to have had this opportunity again to volunteer with such an amazing organization. I mean... who can say they learned how to speak Mayan, used a machete, and ate piñuelas and mamey in NYC? Not many people, if any, I would say!!

Today I visited Izamal, the Magical Town of Yucatan! The whole town is painted in yellow, which is an interesting sight to see :) We visited the famous convent there as well as Kinich Kakmo pyramid and got a view overlooking the city, which was a nice end to my trip.

Overlooking the city of Izamal

These streets are so pretty!!

Look, even the horse's hooves are painted yellow!
I am so excited to be on a plane heading back to the US in less than 12 hours, but I'm definitely going to miss it here... Great food, great people, and beautiful natural wonders to visit! Cancun may be a popular destination for tourists, but Mérida is definitely one of Mexico's hidden treasures. I'm hoping I get the chance to visit again in the next couple of years, maybe even go to Mexico City and Oaxaca to try their insect delicacies.... :3 I intended to write a longer reflection on my time here, but I'd like the chance to settle in back home before I really think about my experience. Stay tuned for my next blog post and UBELONG video (yep... there's going to be a video lolll so nervous about how it'll turn out!).

No comments:

Post a Comment