Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Volunteers are not paid--not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless."


I really like this quote because I think volunteers are one of the most selfless people in the world. I'm not tooting my own horn, rather I'm acknowledging everyone that I've had the chance to volunteer with because they each give up valuable time from their busy lives and give back to the community. I've done volunteer work in an animal shelter, in a church for a food pantry service, at swim meets, at a thrift shop, at a Health Education center in a health clinic, etc. Each of these opportunities allowed me to meet individuals I wouldn't have been able to meet if it weren't for my choice to volunteer.

Living in NYC for all of my life, I've seen how cold individuals can be. On the trains I see the majority of passengers closed off in their little bubbles with their headphones in their ears and their phones glued to their hands as they play the latest game offered on the Play or Apple Store. Many people in this society are so consumed in their own worlds that they don't see what's going on around them. Many of us live extremely privileged lives that we take for granted. It may be extreme to say but there really are people who are desperate for a bite to eat and some New Yorkers carelessly throw away their leftovers without appreciating that they have the ability to waste food like that. If we all cared a little more about what's around us we can see there is much improvement that can be done and it starts with us.

If you pass through my blog and read this post, I encourage you to spend an hour or two to try volunteering. It makes you feel so good and awesome that you were able to help at least one person during your time of service. I really appreciate this quote because volunteers give back without asking for anything in return; volunteers don't need money, they just want to help others.


Photo Credit: http://www.gapyearblog.info/blog/2013/1/4/ten-best-inspirational-quotes-for-volunteering.html

No comments:

Post a Comment